OneChurch Basingstoke has now produced a comprehensive guide to submitting an event to our website. Read them here or download the PDF guide.
Getting set up to submit an event
- Head to www.onechurchbasingstoke.org on your preferred web browser.
2. If you are not yet registered on our website as a user, then head to our registration page. There is a large red “Register” button in the header of our homepage. Complete your personal details, and then await approval from our webmaster as a user.
3. When you are an approved user of the website, please login using the email address you used to register or the username you chose and your password. There is a large red “Login” button in the header of our homepage.
Submitting an event
4. Head over to the Submit Your Event page on the website. This can be accessed by clicking on EVENTS in the top menu on the homepage and then choosing “Submit Your Event” from the dropdown list.
5. If you are logged in (see 3 above) then the Submit Your Event page will have a list of any Upcoming, Pending or Past Events you have submitted, and a large blue “ADD NEW” button. Click on the ADD NEW button.
6. This will take you to the event submission form. Please complete it as fully as possible:
a. Add your Event Name in the first box, e.g. OneChurch Prayer Evening.
b. In the next section, click in the “From” box to choose the starting date of your event from the calendar that will pop up. The calendar has dropdown menus for the month and year, if you need to change these. If the calendar does not pop up, or if you prefer, you can type your date into the box instead, in the following format, dd/mm/yyyy (e.g. 30/05/2019).
c. Next, click on the “to” box to choose the end date of your event from the calendar that will pop up. If the calendar does not pop up, or if you prefer, you can type your date into the box instead, in the following format, dd/mm/yyyy (e.g. 30/05/2019). If your event is being held on one day, then choose the same date in both the From and to boxes (e.g. 30/05/2019). If your event lasts more than one day (e.g. a 48-hour prayer event) then the From date and the to date will be different (e.g. from 19 June 2019 to 21 June 2019). If your event is a recurring one (e.g. every Monday evening for six weeks) then please see the special instructions in 13-21 below.
d. In the next two boxes, please choose your event start time and end time (e.g. Event starts at 02:30 PM to 04:30PM). If your event is an “All Day” event, then ignore the two boxes and tick the “All day” checkbox instead.
7. In the next section, tell our website readers where your event takes place (location). If it has no location (if, for example, it is a web-based learning course) then tick the checkbox that says, “This event does not have a physical location”. Otherwise, please type the event location name in the box provided. If the location already exists in our location database, it will pop up as a suggestion. Click on the suggested location and it will complete the other location details for you. If your location does not yet exist in our database, then please fill in the remaining location boxes (Address, City/Town and Postcode at least).
8. In the next box, complete the Details of your event. This information comprises the bulk of the webpage for your event. Explain more about your event, who it is aimed at, cost (if any), where tickets can be purchased, contact details for more information, etc. The more information you provide the better your event will be publicised. In order for your event to be picked up by search engines (e.g. Google) it helps if this section is around 300 words.
9. In the next box, click on the categories of people your event is aimed at/suitable for. You can choose more than one category by holding down the Control key (Microsoft Windows) or Command-key (Mac).
10. Once you have done all this, click on the big blue “SUBMIT EVENT” button. This will submit your event to OneChurch Basingstoke.
11. You should receive a message on your screen confirming you have successfully submitted your event and that it will be published on the website pending approval from the Webmaster.
12. If you receive the error message, “A variable mismatch has been detected” then something is wrong with your submission. Please review Action Points 6-10 above and ensure you have followed the instructions correctly.
Special Instructions for Recurring Events
13. The instructions for submitting a recurring event (e.g. something that takes place on a Monday evening every week for six weeks) are the same as Action Points 4-10 above, except where indicated in 14-20 below:
14. After completing the name of your event in the Event Name box, click on the checkbox marked “This is a recurring event”.
15. In the next box, choose the first date of your sequence of recurring events from the calendar that pops up when you click in the “Recurrences span from” box, (e.g. Monday 3 June 2019).
16. The in the next box, marked “to”, choose the date of your last event in your sequence of recurring events (e.g. if it was an event that takes place every week for six weeks from Monday 3 June 2019, then you choose the date Monday 8 July 2019).
17. Complete the times of the recurring events (e.g. Events start from 06:30 PM to 08:30 PM) in the next boxes, or tick the “All day” checkbox if they are all day events.
18. At the next box, you need to choose from the dropdown list what the occurrence is, e.g. daily, weekly, monthly, etc.
19. In the next box, you can choose how often frequently the recurrence occurs, e.g. if you have chosen weekly, you could type 2 in the “every” box, indicating that the events take place every two weeks. Under weekly, you can choose the days of the week the events occur on (e.g. if you had an event that takes place every week on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the same times). Under monthly, you can choose how frequently the recurrence occurs (e.g. every three months) and when (e.g. the first Sunday of each month, the last Friday of each month, the third Wednesday of each month).
20. The next “Each event spans” box can be left at 0 unless your recurring events span more than one day (e.g. you are holding 48-hour prayer events from Monday evenings to Wednesday evenings for six weeks), in which case change the 0 for the number of days the events span (2, in the example of a 48-hour prayer event).
21. Then follow Action Points 7-12 above.
22. If you have any supporting documentation, e.g. a poster, flyer, etc. please email them to our Webmaster at [email protected] clearly specifying which event they relate to. They will add them to your event page when approving the event for publication on the website.
If you have difficulties
23. If you have difficulties submitting an event to OneChurch Basingstoke, please contact our Webmaster at [email protected] for advice.
You can download this OneChurch Basingstoke Event Submissions Guide in PDF format below: